Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Famagusta: The City

The city of Famagusta (also known as Gazimağusa) is located along eastern coast of the Northern Famagusta district of Northern Cyprus. 



This city area has existed since 300 BC, when it was built on the ancient settlement of Arsinoe.  Yet Famagusta remained a small fishing village, until the ancient city of Salamis was destroyed in which the people moved from Salamis to Famagusta.  Eventually, the village grew to became a small port.

In 1192, during the Lusignan reign, Famagusta was considered an important and main city in Cyprus.  Later, Venetian rule ended with Famagusta as the last stronghold to surrender to Mustafa Pasha and the Ottoman Empire.

During the Ottoman period, the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas as turned into the Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque.  This church was constructed between 1298 and 1312, and it was the location where the Lusignan kings were crowned. 

During British rule, the city of Famagusta, as well as nearby Varosha, developed greatly.  After Cyprus gained independence in 1960, Varosha became a popular tourist destination until 1974.

Today, the city of Famagusta is one main cities in Northern Cyprus.

The old city area is enclosed by massive ancient defense walls that were built by the Venetians. The Venetian City Walls are about fifteen meters high and eight meters thick, as well as featuring fifteen bastions and two gates, called the Land Gate and the Sea Gate.

Famagusta was once called the "the city of 365 churches," due to the legend that this city had one church for each day of the year.

Some places to explore within the city of Famagusta include the Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque, Othello's Tower, Saint George of the Greeks Church Ruins, Saint John Church Ruins, Venetian City Walls, etc.



The city of Famagusta is worth exploring, yet the abandoned city of Varosha is not accessible.


Site: City of Famagusta. 

Category: City. 

Location: Eastern coastal area, within the Northern Famagusta district of Northern Cyprus. 

Phone Number: N/A. 

Operating Hours: N/A. 

Entrance Fee: Free. 

Date of Visit: 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment